Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Big Day

As I mentioned in a post roughly 4 weeks ago, I volunteered myself to run my very first half marathon, the Legacy Midnight Run.
Friday was the big day. Or should I say night?
My mom picked me up from Provo right after I got off work and we got back to Farmington just in time to pick up my t-shirt and my bib from home and head to the pickup location for the race.
Look how excited I am for a 2-hour run.
 I rode a bus with 83 other passengers to the starting location and waited there for an hour and a half before we even lined up to start running. Everyone received a flashing glow wand and a bunch of glow bracelets, most of which ended up on the ground by the end of the race.
 I had been a little anxious and intimidated by the 13.1 mile distance when the most I had ever run prior to this event was about 10.6. I knew I could do it, but I wasn't even sure if I could finish in 2 hours and 30 minutes, let alone by midnight (the race began at 10:00 pm), for which a reward of a special medal that lights up was promised. I ended up surprising myself with a time of 1:57:44, so I got my flashing medal :) I'm SO proud!
The experience was rewarding and so much fun, and a big reminder not to take my body for granted. It's easy to be self-conscious and compare yourself to others, but it's hard not to be thankful for what you've got when you realize that your legs can carry you thirteen miles. My body isn't perfect, but it's strong and it's capable, and I am so fortunate to have it.

Anyway, I had a really good time and you better believe there will be many more half marathons to come. :) And.. full marathons? Eventually..

2 comments: