Sunday, December 12, 2010

Here's a little peek-a-roo inside the head of a runner

I realized that I have split personalities when I run. One of them is driven and motivated and pretty relentless. (We'll call her Aggy short for agile cause she's agile.) The other is a total slacker and is constantly looking for reasons to stop. (We're gonna go ahead and call her Laggy for laggard.) Aggy and Laggy rarely go running without each other, so being in my head on a run is a lot like sitting between two squabbling children at church whom you don't know and you aren't really sure how to handle the situation so you just carry on doing whatever it is you were doing.

For Example:
Aggy: Wanna go for a run?
Laggy: I'm actually content watching Desperate Housewives.
Aggy: I saw you eat that donut earlier.
Laggy: Fine.

Laggy: Is that a crosswalk? Let's stop at the crosswalk.
Aggy: Green light. White stick guy indicating that it's time to cross. No cars. Dang kinda looks like you're outta luck. Suckaa.

Aggy: K pain. Might as well go away cause we're not stopping.
Laggy: No, pain. Stay awhile. I enjoy watching the suffering.

Laggy: Wouldn't this be a great place to stop and stretch?
Aggy: Wouldn't this be a great place to not waste 5 minutes of perfectly good running time?

Aggy: UNGH doesn't this feel SO GOOD!!
Laggy: Did you want me to answer that honestly or..?

Anyway. That's basically how it goes. Yeah. I got a party goin on up here.

2 comments:

  1. Why/how are you so extremely funny. It amazes me. And PS you just perfectly described my running mentalit(ies). Maybe mine and yours can become friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, mainly because it is nothing short of being completely true.
    Aggy and Laggy exist for everyone, but there's never a greater feeling when you can kick Laggy right in the rear and run an extra mile. Heck ya! :D

    ReplyDelete