Friday, July 6, 2012

Happy belated 4th of July

It's late. I know. Can we just get past this?
I wanna talk about my Independence Day experience. I hope that's OK.
First of all, I got to experience the CRAZINESS of Provo the night before. Who knew people camped out? It was like a gigantic block party all along University Avenue.
I got to watch the parade from the comfort of my own kitchen.

And what did I do to celebrate 4th of July? I worked.
Well, mostly I sat around for 11.5 hours. But some of that time I worked.
The rest I sat in a room with my beloved coworkers, avoiding the crowds and waiting to get called to clean up a "code blue" otherwise known as a "combo spill" otherwise known as throw-up. My job is soooo glamorous.

Bright side: I got paid to watch Stadium of Fire. The Beach Boys came this year. I've never been particularly crazy about the Beach Boys. But it was a good show. Cell phones were waving left and right. They've still got it.

I got paid to watch an amazing firework show (and to clean up the shrapnel after the fact).

I got to get paid to go to the dance party held outside the stadium after the show. Specifically, I got paid to be pulled into a dance circle and twirled around by a stranger. It happened. And I liked it.


I got paid to eat Carls Jr. at 1 a.m.
And I got paid to hang out with the people that I probably would've been hanging out with anyway.

My 4th of July was a lot of fun. But the importance of it wasn't lost on me. I want to express my gratitude to everyone who has ever fought for this country, and who is fighting for us now. Our freedom isn't free, and I know that God has blessed this nation so that we could enjoy many privileges that we take for granted. I'm proud to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment