Saturday, August 6, 2011

"In this age...

which believes there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest." -Henry Miller

 On Tuesday, I started a 17-day cleanse. Counting pre- and post- cleanse, it's probably closer to 25 days. I'm limited to deep leafy greens, raw vegetables, cooked beets, watermelon, herbs, and rather unpleasant shakes which are expected to scrub out my colon allowing for better digestion in the future. I don't feel a need to lose weight, so the only thing really keeping me motivated to stick to it (and I have, with the exception of skipping a salad here and there, thank you very much) is the fact that this opportunity to do this cleanse has been graciously and generously provided by my parents who funded it. Still, ask any of the people I work with, and they will tell you how unsavory my attitude has been. I'm really grateful for their sympathy and support despite my constant whining and cranky retorts. For example, Marcus encouraged me to eat my beets (Sorry the vid is sideways. I'm technologically challenged.)


The cleanse hasn't been too awful, considering all the fuss I've been making about it. And I am pleased to report that I already have noticed it's easier to get into my super tight jeans that I'm not willing to admit are too small for me, and I think my fingers look less chubby (yeah, I didn't need it. But weight loss doesn't suck.) Besides that, I have noticed that although the sun still makes me feel lazy, I don't feel like I need a nap after lunchtime the way I used to.


The other thing I felt the impulse to blog about is the documentary I just watched on Netflix. It's called I.O.U.S.A. and it's about the alarming rise of the national debt. I've been really interested in finances lately because working full time for the first time in my life, I'm making considerable amounts of money and I haven't been managing it well. This documentary really alerted me to the ignorance of Americans in terms of finance and reminded me that you can't always have everything you want instantly. It was fairly politically unbiased, which I appreciated. I strongly recommend it.


Basically the theme of my week, which I'd like to share, is not to be afraid to do hard things. In the long run, it builds better character and reaps greater rewards.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I love that quote SO much. New sticky note on the mirror. Done.

    ReplyDelete