Friday, May 2, 2014

Engagement Pt 1: The Decision

We had it all figured out.

June 28th.

It was a good, solid date. It fit in with my work schedule and we'd get married right after Tyler finished Spring semester. The boy had proposed. Family members had been told. A Facebook invite had been extended. The ball was rolling.

And then I experienced my first week of engagement. It was torture.
I was driving Tyler crazy because I couldn't make up my mind about anything.
I couldn't sleep at night because I couldn't stop thinking about wedding decorations.
I was stressed. I was exhausted. It hadn't even been 7 days.

I am a very laid back person, and I don't like to worry too much about things. I just like to enjoy life. I quickly found that planning a wedding made that hard for me.

Tyler's family came out that weekend for Spring Break. It was a Saturday, and his mom was helping us make some plans for the wedding. Tyler, Momma Dalton and I were driving back from the Salt Lake area when someone, I think it was Tyler, planted the seed.

"What if we just did it in April?"

The three of us sat quietly for a moment, all thinking something along the lines of "... But really. What if we did?"

I remember that moment so vividly. The road stretched out in front of us. The mountains were so prominent and beautiful and for that moment everything was so simple and easy and perfect. The sky was clear and blue. So, so blue. Every time I see blue skies I think of how I felt right then. After a week of stress and anxiety, that moment of peace and clarity was such a relief, and made a great impression on me.

We took a couple days to mull it over. We didn't want to make any rash decisions, but we also knew that if we were going to change our date, we had to do it PRONTO.

We made a pro/con list. Actually several. There was definitely merit to both options. Both of our families were incredibly supportive, and that was encouraging. But what I really kept coming back to was that blue sky feeling of simplicity. That's what Tyler and I both wanted. We knew cutting our engagement period by 2/3 was a pretty bold move, but I like to think we are a pretty bold pair.
So we did it.

April 26, 2014.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment